Narumugiye.. English Translation and more about the song. Iruvar, Music: A R Rahman.

Without doubt, this is the best song I heard of A R Rahman and at times I had a gut feeling that this is the best song I had ever heard of. Rarely does a song combine with the best lyrics and stunning music.



Theme: A women and her lover, opening their sincere feelings towards others.
Scenes: Presented in Black and White color, the song is a song in a film inside the film ‘Iruvar’. Two scenes merges together here, one- the film scene inside the film, and two- the hero’s character towards his wife. In between the black and white shots, there included few scenes where the hero characters showing few moments of the movie he just acted to his wife. The lyrics blends well with both the situations, one to show their love and second to show the growth of their bond between the newly wedded couple.

Lyrics: Kaviperarasu Vairamuthu’s brilliant lyrics, does need another poem to praise him. He used Sangam Tamil instead of the modern Tamil to get the best feeling of the era of the situation. To be more clear, the lyrics was not completely written/developed by Vairamuthu but he selected few lines from various Sangam era Poetry.
Music: A beautiful Carnatic classical song composed by A R Rahman.
Cinematography: Santhosh Sivan
Direction: Maniratnam
Major Instrument used: மிருதங்கம் / Mridungam and Violin





Lyrics in English

Narumugaye narumugaye nee oru naaligai nillaai
Sengani ooriya vaay thiranthu nee oru thiru mozhi sollaai
Attrai thingal annillavil netri tharala neer vadiya
Kotra poigal aadugaiyil neeya

Thirumaganae thirumaganae nee oru naaligai paarai
Vennira puraviyil vanthavanae vel vizhi mozhigal kellaai
Attrai thingal annilavil kotra poigai aadugaiyil
Otrai paarvay paarthavannum neeya

Mangai maanvizhi ambukal en maarthulaithath enna
Paandi naadanai kanda en mannam passaley kondath enna
Nillaavillai paartha varnum kanaavilley thondrum innum
Illaithaen thudithaen porruka villai Idaiyil megallai irrukavillai

Narumugaye narumugaye nee oru naaligai nillaai
Sengani ooriya vaay thiranthu nee oru thiru mozhi sollaai
Atrai thingal annilavil kotra poigai aadugaiyil
Otrai paarvay paarthavannum neeya
Atrai thingal annillavil netri tharala neer vadiya
Kotra poigal aadugaiyil neeya

Yaayum yaayum yaaragiyaro nendru naerndhathenna
Yaanum neeyum yevalli-aridhum ooravu saerndhathenna
Oray oru theendal saythaai ooyir kodi poothath enna
Sembullam saerndhaa neer thulli pol
Ambudai nenjam kallanthath enna

Thirumaganae thirumaganae nee oru naaligai paarai
Vennira puraviyil vanthavanae vel vizhi mozhigal kellaai
Attrai thingal annilavil kotra poigai aadugaiyil
Otrai paarvay paarthavannum neeya

Translation

O newly blooming flower bud, O newly blooming flower bud, (Narumugaye narumugaye)
Stand here for an instant before me, (Nee oru naaligai nillaai)
Opening your lips which drips honey (Sengani ooriya vaay thiranthu)
Disclose a word in your language (Nee oru thiru mozhi sollaai)

Under the full moon night (Attrai thingal annillavil)
As water drips down from your form (Netri tharala neer vadiya)
Were you the one in the river? (Kotra poigal aadugaiyil neeya)

O my groom, O my groom (Thirumaganae thirumaganae)
Look for a moment at me (Nee oru naaligai paarai)
The one who came riding a white house (Vennira puraviyil vanthavanae)
Listen to my arrow-like eyes words (Vel vizhi mozhigal kellaai)

Under the full moon night (Attrai thingal annillavil)
When I was swimming in the river (Kotra poigai aadugaiyil)
Were you the one who watched me? (Otrai paarvay paarthavannum neeya)

What was that arrows from your deer-eyes pierce my heart? (Mangai maanvizhi ambukal en maarthulaithath enna)

After seeing the Paandi king (Paandi naadanai kanda)
Why did my heart begin to pale (En manam passaley kondath enna)

What I saw under the moonlight (Nillaavillai paartha varnam )
Still haunts me in my dreams (Kanaavilley thondrum innum)
The scene that I saw under the moonlight (Nillaavillai paartha varnam )
Still haunts me in my dreams (Kanaavilley thondrum innum)
I became lean because my love was not with me (Illaithaen thudithaen porruka villai, Idaiyil megallai irrukavillai)

My family is not known to your family (Yaayum yaayum yaaraagiyaroe)
Then how did our hearts became one (Nenju naernthathaena)
My family is not known to your family (Yaayum yaayum yaaraagiyaroe)
Then how did our hearts became one (Nenju naernthathaena)

I was not known to you (Yaanum neeyum evvaliyaarithum)
How was this Bond developed? (Ooravu saernthathenna?)

You touched me only once (Orae oru theendal seiyya)
Then how it was my body bloomed (Uyirkkodi pootthathenna)
You touched me only once (Orae oru theendal seiyya)
Then how it was my body bloomed (Uyirkkodi pootthathenna)

Like the raindrop which joins with the soil (Semboolam saerntha neertthulipole)
How our hearts were joined like this (Ambudai nenjam kalanthathaena)

Comments

  1. Been listening to this wonderful song for years! Just stopped to actually listen and understand the lyrics, which is simply divine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful Arjun. Very wonderfully explained :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. v profound meanings. thk u for the efforts

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for the translation such sweet meaning. My fav song

    ReplyDelete
  5. iam telugi but i wanted to know and its excellent meaning veturi in his telugu version has gave equally unique lyrics

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment